Unit 3 Energy
The Big Idea: Energy can be transferred as both a particle and a wave.
Before you begin...
- Complete all of the sections below including watching videos, answering questions and doing activities.
- ALL questions must be answered in COMPLETE SENTENCES and handed into your teacher
3.1 Types of Effects of Electromagnetic Radiation
- types of electromagnetic radiation: the electromagnetic spectrum consists of radio, microwave, infrared, light, UV, X-ray, and gamma rays
- effects of electromagnetic radiation: positive effects include cancer treatments; negative effects include sunburns
The Electromagnetic Spectrum
Is Radiation Dangerous?
How X-rays see through your skin
Electromagnetic Spectrum Activity
3.2 Properties of Light
- acts like both a wave and a particle
- wavelength, amplitude, and frequency
How does light travel?
Introduction to Light
3.3 Behaviours of Light
- reflection, refraction, absorption, transmission, scattering
- images formed by lenses and mirrors
- effects of translucent, transparent, and opaque objects
Reflection & Absorption
Light Absorption, Reflection and Transmission
Reflection of Light
Make money appear before your eyes - Home Activity
Refraction of Light
Why is the sunset red?
Why is the sky blue?
Translucent, Transparent and Opaque
Convex and Concave Mirrors
Convex and Concave Lenses
3.4 Ways of Sensing Light
- Human vision
- optical instruments