Science 9 Earth and Space Science: Space Exploration
D2 Describe the major components and characteristics of the universe and solar system
- identify galaxies, star clusters/types, planets, constellations, nebulae according to their distinguishing characteristics
- relate mass to different stages in the life cycle of stars
- describe theories on the nature of the solar system (e.g., Ptolemy, Copernicus, Kepler)
- describe the formation of the solar system (e.g., condensing nebula) and its components (e.g., planets, moons, comets, asteroids, the Sun) and the formation of the universe (e.g., Big Bang)
- describe the processes that generate and events that distribute the energy of the Sun and other stars (e.g., nuclear fusion, solar flares and prominences, sun spots, solar wind)
Try out this fun tactile way for students to learn about the solar system. Use mini-marshmallows, toothpicks and black paper to build constellations.
Click here for the original source.